For a beautiful country with a confusing visa system, the Cambodia tourist evisa is the most systematic and straightforward visa for a short visit. When living in South East Asia, I went on short trips to Cambodia a couple of times. I applied for the Cambodia evisa or online visa the first time I went there, and I will explain you how the whole thing works.
Who Can Apply
Citizens of almost every country can apply for an Cambodia evisa for tourism, except for Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan and Syria.
Ports of Entry for Cambodia Evisa
The evisa works if you arrive at any of the international airports of Cambodia.
- Phnom Penh International Airport
- Siem Reap International Airport
- Sihanoukville International Airport
It works for land borders as well, although not for all the checkpoints. Cambodia borders Laos, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Tropaeng Kreal ((Stung Treang Province)) (from Laos)
- Bavet (Svay Rieng Province) (from Vietnam)
- Cham Yeam (Koh Kong Province) (from Thailand)
- Poi Pet (Banteay Meanchey Province) (from Thailand)
Where to Apply Cambodia EVisa
The only place to apply for an evisa is on the official website of Cambodian government. There are fake websites making rounds of internet. Make sure you don’t fall into their trap.
Website to apply for the evisa : https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
Submit Evisa Application 3 Days Before Entering Cambodia
The visa processing generally takes 3 days, although you might get it much earlier. So make sure to apply at least 3 days before you want to get to Cambodia.
Once you click on application on the application tab, you can start filling out the application. Like any online visa system, it will ask you for some details like nationality, name, address and passport details. It’s really simple.
- Photo– It should be a recent color photo with white background without goggles and all. You can upload it in .JPG/.JPEG/.BMP format and it should be lesser than 2 MBs.
- Passport – You can upload it in .JPG/.JPEG/.BMP format and it should be lesser than 2 MBs.
- Address during visit – This can be an address of a hostel/ hotel reservation.
- Intended date of entry – The evisa is valid for 3 months from the date it’s issued. So your intended date of entry should be any time from 3 months from the date of application, and 3 day
Once you finish the application and review it, you will receive an email with a reference number.
You can pay for the Cambodia evisa using a credit or debit card.
Processing time – 3 working days
Visa validity – 3 months from the date it’s issued.
Visa duration – 30 days
No. of entries – Single
Download Cambodia Evisa, Print and Staple
Once the payment goes through, you can check the status of your visa application as well as make changes on the same website: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/check_change
Once it’s approved, you can download the evisa certificate there as well. They send you an email detailing how to show it in color as well. You will need to print it in color, cut it out and staple in to a blank page in your passport. It seemed sort of weird to do but it seems like a practice in many South East Asian countries.
I flew from Bangkok to Siem Reap. After arriving at the airport, I headed to the immigration directly, with my onward ticket and a photocopy of my reservation at the hostel whose address I mentioned in the application. Although it doesn’t say anywhere to carry these, I, for one don’t like surprises. I would ask you to do the same.
I still was a little doubtful about the visa that I had stapled but I actually passed through immigration like a breeze. The officer gave the visa a look-see and stamped the entry stamp.
Have you tried getting a Cambodia Evisa?
If you have tried obtaining a Cambodia Evisa, let us know in the comments. The visa process is constantly changing and it will help me updating the article if there is any change. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.