So you want to sponsor a KSA family visit visa for your spouse or someone else in your family. What many people don’t take into account is that, not all professions are eligible to sponsor a family visa.
There are only a handful of professions eligible for family visa in Saudi Arabia.
Also, while selecting the profession you need to be careful as some of the professions are reserved only for Saudis, and not expats. You need to ensure that your Iqama is not one of them.
Table of Contents
How Can I Check My Profession in Iqama?
The meaning of “Mehna” is job category or profession. Iqama is the best way to know what one’s Mehna is. So in Saudi Arabia, if someone asks for your Mehna, it means they are asking about the profession on your Iqama.
Legally, you can’t work in a profession which is not listed on your Iqama.
You can find your Iqama profession written next to the “Mehna” category as shown below.
What are the Professions Eligible for Family Visa in Saudi Arabia
Here is the complete list of professions allowed to sponsor a Family Visa in KSA. Any profession which is not part of this list is not eligible to apply for a family visa in Saudi Arabia.
If your profession is not one of the listed professions below, you would have to change your Iqama profession.
I have further divided the professions eligible for family visa in Saudi Arabia into three sections.
- Accounts Manager
- Administrative Manager
- Air Transport Manager
- Archeological Director
- Assistant General Manager
- Bank Manager
- Banking Business Manager
- Broadcasting Manager
- Chairman (All types)/Executive Director
- Cinema Director
- Commercial Manager
- Consultant (All types)
- Company or Factory Manager
- Cooperative Society Manager
- Electricity Manager
- Executive Manager or Director
- Farm Manager
- Finance Manager
- Hospital Manager
- Hotel Manager
- Institute Manager
- Insurance Manager
- Investment Manager
- Laboratory Manager
- Land Transport Manager
- Library Manager
- Maintenance Manager
- Manager (All types)
- Manager or Director of any government organization or a private company.
- Marine Transport Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Media Manager
- Museum Manager
- Printing and Publishing Manager
- Production Director
- Regional Director
- Research & Studies Director
- Sales Manager
- School Manager
- Secretary or Manager of Library
- Television Manager
- Theatre Manager
- Tourism Agency Manager
- Agricultural specialist (General).
- Aquatic Specialist.
- Breeding Specialist (Animals/ Birds/ Bees).
- Customs Specialist.
- Gardening Specialist
- General Specialist
- Lab Specialist
- Media Specialist
- Medical Analysis Specialist
- Medical Therapy Specialist
- Medical X-ray Specialist
- Nutrition Specialist
- Speech Specialist
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- Statistics Specialist
- X-Ray Specialist
- Zoology Specialist
- Aircraft Maintenance Technician.
- Aviation Technician.
- Computer Technician.
- Control Equipment Technician.
- Dental Technician (Fixing).
- ECG Technician
- Flight Technician
- Foodstuff Technician
- Geology Technician
- Horse Breeding Technician
- Lab Technician
- Medical Equipment Technician
- Microscopic Technician
- Mining Technician
- Optical Technician
- Pharmaceutical Technician
- Professional Security and Safety Technician
- Radio or TV Transmission Technician
- Ship Maintenance Technician
- Telecom Technician
- Train Maintenance Technician
- Well Drilling Technician
- X-ray Technician
Other Eligible Professions
- Accountant / Accounts Verifier / Auditor
- Administration Coordinator
- Administrative Researcher
- Air Controller
- Air Hostess
- Air Navigator
- Aircraft Landing Controller
- Aircraft Takeoff Controller
- Archeological Prospector
- Archeological Researcher
- Architectural Draftsman
- Army Officer
- Artists (actors, musicians, composers, poets, painters, and singers)
- Assistant Engineer (all specializations)
- Assistant Pharmacist
- Assistant Pilot
- Aviation Guide
- Aviation Trainer
- Bank Official
- Business lady
- Captain of Ship/Cruise/Carrier/Steamship
- Career Counselor
- Chemist (All Specializations)
- Chief Justice
- Cinema Cameraman
- Cinema or Television Producer
- College Dean
- Commercial Broker
- Computer Programmer
- Correspondent (Newspaper/Radio/TV)
- Cruise Ship Guide
- Customs Clearer
- Decoration Designer
- Diplomat (Members of diplomatic corps)
- Earthquakes expert
- Economic Analyst
- Employees at the Embassies in the GCC countries
- Engineers registered with the Saudi Council of Engineers
- Executive Secretary
- Finance/Economics Expert
- Food Controller
- General Professional Trainer
- General Supervisor
- Geologist (General)
- Head of Prosecution
- Information Systems Expert
- Land Hostess
- Lawyer / Advocate
- Legal Expert
- Legal Researcher
- Male or Female Nurse
- Marine Navigator
- Marine Traffic Controller
- Maritime Controller
- Marketing Executive
- Marketing Representative
- Media Controller
- Media Person
- Ministry Undersecretary
- Operations Analyst
- Physician (All specializations)
- Player (All sports items in a sports club)
- President or Director of a Club
- President or Director of a University
- Press Photographer
- Procurement Representative
- Program Designer
- Program Producer.
- Quality Controller
- Quantity Enumerator
- Referee (sports)
- Religious person
- Road Controller
- Sales Executive
- Sales Representative
- Ship Captain
- Shop Supervisor
- Special Needs Teacher
- Sports Representative
- Sports Trainer
- Support Services Jobs
- Surgeon (All specializations)
- Systems Analyst
- Teacher / Instructor
- Tourist Guide
- Travel or Tourism Agent
- TV Cameraman
- TV or Radio Programs Presenter
- University Professor
- University Student
- Veterinary Doctor
- Weather Expert
Change Saudia Arabia Iqama Profession
If your current profession on Saudi Iqama is different from your actual profession, you can change it to apply for a Saudi family visit visa or for any other reason.
Here are the requirements for Iqama profession change.
1. Registration with the Relevant Professional Body
Depending on your profession you would need to be registered with one or more professional bodies in Saudi Arabia.
- The 136 technician professions and engineers need to register with Saudi Council of Engineers.
- All health practitioners need to register with Mumaris Plus.
- All accountants, auditors and people working finance job need to register with SOCPA
It often happens that you would be able to register temporarily with one of teh professional bodies but you won’t be able to renew your registration with the professional body if your educational qualification doesn’t match your current profession.
For example, if you are an accountant, but you did a Bachelors in Arts and a Masters in Political Science, in that case things are gonna get tricky.
You can reach out to them through their helpline or help center email in these cases to get more details.
2. Get Your Degree Attested to Match with Iqama Profession
You need to get the degree attested from the Saudi embassy of the country that issued your degree in the first place. So for example, if you got your degree in the Philippines, that means the Saudi embassy of the Philippines can attest your degree.If your degree is from a university or institute in Saudi Arabia, in that case you don’t need to attest it.
3. Be in Saudi Arabia
You can change your profession on Iqama only when you are inside Saudi Arabia.
4. Pay the Fees to Change Iqama Profession
The fees to change Iqama profession is 1000 SR. You can make the payment in any of the banks is Saudi Arabia using Internet banking for this.
5. Contact the GRO of the Company
Once you have made the payment, your employer needs to contact the Government Relations Officer of your company to start the process.
Usually the HR of your company would take care of this.
6. Check the Status of Change in Profession
After applying to change your Iqama profession, you can check your profession on
- In Absher Account
Log into your Absher account and check the change of your profession, by visiting the “Dashboard” and then checking the left side of the screen to check your details.
- NCB Internent Banking
If you have a bank account with Al Ahli bank, you can also check your Iqama Mehna using the NCB internet banking services.
7. Get a New Iqama
Visit any Jawazat office to get the new Iqama that should have your new profession. The whole process to change the profession can take 20 or more business days.
You can keep on using the old Iqama until you get the new one.
Changing Iqama Profession: F.A.Q.S
Can You Change Iqama Profession without Certificate?
There are certain profession changes that don’t need an attested degree.
1. Changing Non-technical professions
If you are changing your profession from one non-technical profession to another, for example laborer to cleaner, you don’t need attested certificates.
2. Changing from a Technical to Labor Profession
A Saudi resident with Iqama profession as an accountant can be registered with any degree with SOCPA and then transfer it to Labor. The same goes for a computer technician.
Can Domestic Workers Change Saudi Iqama Profession?
If your Iqama profession is a domestic worker such as Housemaid, Driver etc., you can’t change it into a business profession. You can only transfer it to some other domestic profession.
Reasons Your Iqama Profession Change was Denied
In reality, there are many reasons your application for an Iqama profession change might be rejected. Here are the most common ones.
- The Iqama has expired.
In this case, you would need to renew the iqama as soon as possible.
- The Iqama profession is reserved for Saudis.
- Your company is in Red Nitaqat category.
- Your membership with SOCPA, SCE or Mumaris has expired.
- You need to be registered with two professional bodies in Saudi Arabia, but you are registered with only one.
For example, if you are a computer programmer registered with SOCPA, but not with SCE, in that case you would need to get a temporary membership of SCE first to change the Iqama profession.
Let’s say you want to change your profession to an Accountant, then SOCPA membership is required